|The Cock Pit|
|Location||1174 George Rogers Blvd|
Columbia, South Caroilna 29201
|Owner||University of South Carolina|
|Operator:||University of South Carolina|
|Broke ground:||May 14, 1934|
|Opened:||October 6, 1934|
Williams-Brice Stadium Is an 80,0000 capacity outdoor stadium in Columbia, South Carolina. The stadium is owned and operated by the University of South Carolina currently hosting the South Carolina Gamecocks football team.
Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then it seated 17,600. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to more than 54,000.
Mrs. Brice's husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman, 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial interitance from the Williams Furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Phillip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project. In dedication ceremonies during the September 9, 1972 opener with Virginia.
Williams-Brice Stadium FactsEdit
- First constructed in 1934, Williams-Brice Stadium has a seating capacity of 80,250
- Since 2001, Carolina has sold out all of its season tickets prior to the beginning of the season
- USC consistently ranks among the top 20 in the nation in home attendance
- Nearly $30 million of improvements and renovations have taken place at Williams-Brice Stadium over the past 10 years
- The Zone features an 11,000-square foot banquet facility and provides fans with a fantastic view from the South End Zone
- The premium seating and executive suites at the stadium are among the finest in college football
- First game as Carolina Stadium was on September 23, 1934. (USC 25, Erskine 0)
- Dedicated as Williams-Brice Stadium on September 9, 1972. (Virginia 24, USC 16)
- Capacity: 80,250
- Playing Surface: Natural Grass
Top Five Crowds at Williams-Brice StadiumEdit
85,000 vs. Clemson (11-17-01) 84,900 vs. Florida (11-10-01) 84,277 vs. Georgia (9-14-02) 84,200 vs. Tennessee (10-28-00) 83,987 vs. Clemson (11-22-03)