|Location||2300 East Campus Drive|
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858
|Broke ground||September, 1971|
|Opened||November 4, 1972|
|Owner||Central Michigan University|
|Operator||Central Michigan University|
|Surface||FieldTurf 2004 to present|
Astroturf 1972 to 2003
|Construction cost||$2.2 million|
($NaN in 2020 dollars)
|Former names||Perry Shorts Stadium (1972–1982)|
|Tenants||Central Michigan Chippewas (NCAA) (1972–present)|
Kelly/Shorts Stadium is a stadium in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. It is primarily used for football, and is the home field of the Central Michigan Chippewas. The stadium opened in 1972 and holds 32,885 spectators, making it the largest on-campus stadium in the Mid-American Conference. It is located on the southeast part of campus, along with most of the other athletic facilities.
The stadium was originally named Perry Shorts Stadium in honor of R. Perry Shorts, a Saginaw banker who was a 1900 graduate and a generous donor. The stadium, which originally seated approximately 20,000 spectators, was dedicated on November 4, 1972, when the Chippewas defeated Illinois State, 28–21, before a Homecoming crowd of nearly 17,000. In June 1983, the CMU Board of Trustees voted to rename the facility Kelly/Shorts Stadium in honor of Kenneth "Bill" Kelly, who coached the Chippewa football team to a 91–58–2 record from 1951 to 1966.
A $28 million expansion project following the 1997 season added 10,000 seats to the stadium, increasing its capacity to 30,199. A two-tiered press box, locker room, and nine guest suites also were included in the expansion project. The original artificial turf, the first to be used in the state of Michigan, has been replaced three times, most recently in 2004 when it was changed from Astroturf to FieldTurf. Permanent lights were installed before the 2006 season, making it the last stadium in the Mid-American Conference to do so.
The stadium has also been used as a site for other events, including high school football playoff games, concerts, and graduation ceremonies.
References[edit | edit source]
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2008. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved December 7, 2010.
- Kelly/Shorts Stadium, http://www.cmich.edu/about/locations_maps/CampusMap/SoutheastCampus/Pages/KellyShorts_Stadium.aspx, retrieved September 3, 2013
- Kelly/Shorts Stadium, http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=205723300, retrieved September 3, 2013
- Great Games in CMU History, http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46371&SPID=4199&DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=204954360, retrieved January 22, 2011
- Kelly/Shorts Stadium to Receive Lights, http://centralmichigan.scout.com/2/502438.html, retrieved September 3, 2013