Daniel John Durkin (born January 15, 1978) is an American football coach. He is the former football head coach for the Maryland Terrapins. Before Maryland, he was the defensive coordinator for the Michigan Wolverines. He also served as the interim head football coach and defensive coordinator of the Florida Gators football team for the team's 2014 bowl game.
Durkin began serving as the head coach of the University of Maryland football team in 2015. Following the practice-related death of player Jordan McNair, Durkin was placed on leave in August 2018. Matt Canada was named acting head coach until further notice.
The University System of Maryland Board of Regents reinstated Durkin on October 30, 2018, instigating protests and uproar. University of Maryland President Wallace Loh fired Durkin the next day.
References[edit | edit source]
- DJ Durkin Bio. Archived from the original on November 6, 2017. Retrieved on October 28, 2017.
- Template:Cite press release
- "Maryland places DJ Durkin on administrative leave amid reports of football program’s toxic culture", August 11, 2018. Retrieved on August 12, 2018.
- DJ Durkin returns to Terrapins with board of regents' backing. ESPN. Retrieved on October 31, 2018.
- Rittenberg, Adam (October 31, 2018). Maryland students to protest DJ Durkin's reinstatement. ESPN. Retrieved on October 31, 2018.
- "UMd. fires head football coach DJ Durkin", WBAL TV 11, November 1, 2018. Retrieved on November 1, 2018.