A color commentator or expert commentator is a sports commentator who assists the play-by-play commentator, typically by filling in when play is not in progress. The phrase "color commentator" is primarily used in American English; the person may also be referred to as a summariser (outside North America) or analyst (a term used throughout the English-speaking world). The color analyst and main commentator will often exchange comments freely throughout the broadcast, when the main commentator is not describing the action. The color commentator provides expert analysis and background information, such as statistics, strategy, and injury reports on the teams and athletes, and occasionally anecdotes or light humor. Color commentators are often former athletes or coaches of the sport being broadcast.
- Color commentator | Define Color commentator at Dictionary.com. Dictionary.reference.com.
- What Is a Color Commentator?. Houston Chronicle (2010-11-29).
- Announcers: Occupational Outlook Handbook — What Announcers Do. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2014-01-08).
- Color Commentary and Play by Play: A Well-Rounded Approach to Facebook. Inkling Media (2012-05-02).
- The Sportscaster: A Brief History & Job Description. Americansportscastersonline.com (2014-01-07).
- John Lund (2012-11-27). The Top Three Keys For Becoming a Color Commentator. Sportsideo.com.