|1992 National Football League season|
|Duration||September 6 - December 28, 1992|
|Start date||January 2, 1993|
|AFC Champions||Buffalo Bills|
|NFC Champions||Dallas Cowboys|
|Super Bowl XXVII|
|Date||January 31, 1993|
|Site||Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California|
|Date||February 7, 1993|
|National Football League seasons
The 1992 NFL season was the 73rd regular season of the National Football League.
Due to the damage caused by Hurricane Andrew, the New England Patriots–Miami Dolphins game that was scheduled for September 6 at Joe Robbie Stadium was rescheduled to October 18. Both teams originally had that weekend off. This marked the first time since the 1966 NFL season and the AFL seasons of 1966 and 1967 that there were byes in week 1; in those years, byes were necessary every week since there were an odd number of teams (this would happen again between 1999 and 2001).
The season ended with Super Bowl XXVII when the Dallas Cowboys defeated the Buffalo Bills.
Major rule changes
- The instant replay system that was in effect since the 1986 NFL season is repealed. Instant replay would not return to the league until the 1999 NFL season.
- To reduce injuries, any offensive player who is lined up in the backfield before the snap cannot chop block a defensive player who is already engaged above the waist by another offensive player.
Final regular season standings
W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT = Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against
Clinched playoff seeds are marked in parentheses and shaded in green
|(2) Miami Dolphins||11||5||0||.688||340||281|
|(4) Buffalo Bills||11||5||0||.688||381||283|
|New York Jets||4||12||0||.250||220||315|
|New England Patriots||2||14||0||.125||205||363|
|(1) Pittsburgh Steelers||11||5||0||.688||299||225|
|(5) Houston Oilers||10||6||0||.625||352||258|
|(3) San Diego Chargers||11||5||0||.688||335||241|
|(6) Kansas City Chiefs||10||6||0||.625||348||282|
|Los Angeles Raiders||7||9||0||.438||249||281|
|(2) Dallas Cowboys||13||3||0||.813||409||243|
|(5) Philadelphia Eagles||11||5||0||.688||354||245|
|(6) Washington Redskins||9||7||0||.563||300||255|
|New York Giants||6||10||0||.375||306||367|
|(3) Minnesota Vikings||11||5||0||.688||374||249|
|Green Bay Packers||9||7||0||.563||276||296|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||5||11||0||.313||267||365|
|(1) San Francisco 49ers||14||2||0||.875||431||236|
|(4) New Orleans Saints||12||4||0||.750||330||202|
|Los Angeles Rams||6||10||0||.375||313||383|
- Pittsburgh was the top AFC playoff seed, and Miami was the second AFC playoff seed ahead of San Diego, based on conference (10–2 to Dolphins' 9–3 to Chargers' 9–5).
- Miami finished ahead of Buffalo in the AFC East based on better conference record (9–3 to Bills' 7–5).
- Houston was the second AFC Wild Card based on head-to-head victory over Kansas City (1–0).
- Washington was the third NFC Wild Card based on better conference record than Green Bay (7–5 to Packers' 6–6).
- Tampa Bay finished ahead of Chicago and Detroit in the NFC Central based on better conference record (5–9 to Bears' 4–8 and Lions' 3–9).
- Atlanta finished ahead of L.A. Rams in the NFC West based on better record against common opponents (5–7 to Rams' 4–8).
- Main article: 1992–93 NFL playoffs
- Home team in capitals
- Wild-Card playoffs: SAN DIEGO 17, Kansas City 0; BUFFALO 41, Houston 38 (OT)
- Divisional playoffs: Buffalo 24, PITTSBURGH 3; MIAMI 31, San Diego 0
- AFC Championship: Buffalo 29, MIAMI 10 at Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, Florida, January 17, 1993
- Wild-Card playoffs: Washington 24, MINNESOTA 7; Philadelphia 36, NEW ORLEANS 20
- Divisional playoffs: SAN FRANCISCO 20, Washington 13; DALLAS 34, Philadelphia 10
- NFC Championship: Dallas 30, SAN FRANCISCO 20 at Candlestick Park, San Francisco, California, January 17, 1993
- Super Bowl XXVII: Dallas (NFC) 52, Buffalo (AFC) 17, at Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California, January 31, 1993
|Most Valuable Player||Steve Young, quarterback, San Francisco|
|Coach of the Year||Bill Cowher, Pittsburgh|
|Offensive Player of the Year||Steve Young, Quarterback, San Francisco|
|Defensive Player of the Year||Cortez Kennedy, Defensive Tackle, Seattle|
|Offensive Rookie of the Year||Carl Pickens, Wide Receiver, Cincinnati|
|Defensive Rookie of the Year||Dale Carter, Cornerback, Kansas City|
- NFL Record and Fact Book (ISBN 1-932994-36-X)
- NFL History 1991-2000 (Last accessed December 4, 2005)
- 1992 season in details
- Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League (ISBN 0-06-270174-6)
Template:1992 NFL season by team
Early Era (1920-1969)
|1920 • 1921 • 1922 • 1923 • 1924 • 1925 • 1926 • 1927 • 1928 • 1929|
|Modern Era (1970-present)|
|1970 • 1971 • 1972 • 1973 • 1974 • 1975 • 1976 • 1977 • 1978 • 1979|