|1968 Buffalo Bills season|
|Head Coach|| Joe Collier (0-2-0) |
Harvey Johnson (1-10-1)
|Home Field||War Memorial Stadium|
|Place||5th in AFL East|
|Playoff Finish||Did not qualify for playoffs|
|Previous Season||Next Season|
The Bills, coming off a 4–10 season in 1967, fired coach Joe Collier after an 0–2 start in 1968. Defensive backfield coach Harvey Johnson was promoted to interim head coach, where he went 1–10–1 to finish the year.
The majority of Buffalo's games were started by backup quarterback Dan Darragh, after injuries claimed the seasons of long-time starter Jack Kemp and new addition Tom Flores. Even Darragh and new addition Kay Stephenson were injured. Ultimately, running back Ed Rutkowski, who hadn't played the quarterback position since college six years prior, ended up starting at quarterback for the Bills.
Buffalo's only win of the season was a home victory over the New York Jets, in which the Bills held a 16-point lead in the fourth quarter before giving up two late touchdowns to the Jets. Ultimately, the Bills were able to hold on to the two-point win.
- August 24: Bills sign fullback Wayne Patrick.
- August 27: Bills acquire quarterback (and future Bills head coach) Kay Stephenson from the San Diego Chargers for a Fifth Round Pick.
- August 28: Bills acquire fullback Bob Cappadona from the Boston Patriots for a ninth round draft pick.
- September 2: The Bills cut running backs Wray Carlton, wide receiver Ed Rutkowski (who would return later in the season), tight end Charley Ferguson and defensive tackle Dudley Meredith.
|1968 Buffalo Bills staff|
| Front office
|1968 Buffalo Bills roster|
|| Wide Receivers
| Defensive Linemen
| Defensive Backs
|Note: Rookies in italics|
- ↑ Johnson would be promoted to head coach again before the 1971 season
- ↑ Johnson resumed his defensive coaching duties under John Rauch in 1969, but would later be promoted to head coach again for one year in 1971.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.393, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, Template:ISBN
- ↑ [Neft, David S.; Cohen, Richard M.; and Korch, Rich The Sports Encyclopedia: Pro Football, 12th Edition, p.144, Martin's Press, August 1994, Template:ISBN
- ↑ Pro-Football-Reference: New York Jets 35 at Buffalo Bills 37, Sunday, September 29, 1968
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.392, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, Template:ISBN