|1937 National Football League season|
|Duration||September 5 - December 5, 1937|
|East Champions||Washington Redskins|
|West Champions||Chicago Bears|
| National Football League seasons
The 1937 NFL season was the 18th regular season of the National Football League. The Cleveland Rams joined the league as an expansion team. Meanwhile, the Redskins relocated from Boston to Washington, D.C.
The season ended when the Redskins defeated the Chicago Bears in the NFL Championship Game.
Major rule changesEdit
- All players are required to wear numerals on their jerseys whose color must be in sharp contrast with the jersey color. The numbers on the front must be at least 6 in while the ones on the back must be at least 8 in.
- If a kickoff goes out of bounds, the ball is put in play either on the opponent's 35-yard line or 10 yards from the spot where it crossed the sideline.
- The penalty for an illegal forward pass that is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage is a loss of down and five yards from the spot of the foul.
Midway through the NFL's 11-game season, the Bears were unbeaten (5–0) in the Western Division, while the Giants were leaders in the Eastern (4–1), and they played to a 3–3 tie. The Giants and Bears continued to stay in the lead in their divisions, and the Bears clinched a spot in the title game with its 13–0 win over Detroit. On December 5, the final game of the season had Washington (7–3 and .700) traveling to New York (6–2–2 and .750). A win or a tie would have given the Giants the Eastern title; the Redskins triumphed, 49–14, and got the division crown and the trip to face Chicago in the 1937 championship game.
W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT= Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against Note: The NFL did not officially count tie games in the standings until 1972
|New York Giants||6||3||2||.667||128||109|
|Green Bay Packers||7||4||0||.636||220||122|
NFL Championship GameEdit
Washington 28, Chi. Bears 21, at Wrigley Field, Chicago, December 12
|Receiving||Gus Tinsley||Chicago Cardinals||675|
- NFL Record and Fact Book (ISBN 1-932994-36-X)
- NFL History 1931-1940 (Last accessed December 4, 2005)
- 1937 season in details
- Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League (ISBN 0-06-270174-6)
Early Era (1920-1969)
|1920 • 1921 • 1922 • 1923 • 1924 • 1925 • 1926 • 1927 • 1928 • 1929|
|Modern Era (1970-present)|
|1970 • 1971 • 1972 • 1973 • 1974 • 1975 • 1976 • 1977 • 1978 • 1979|